I liked this film. Sabrina Carpenter stars as Nola, a teenage girl living in a van and traveling America after her father’s death. They were on the road together when he suddenly died. I think they have been on the road since her early childhood. Nola has to figure out what she does next. I won’t go into the plot details but I will say that the movie is mostly optimistic. Nola meets mostly nice people during her time on the road including Danny Trejo as an auto repair shop owner. Nola does meet her mother (okay, I spoiled the part of the plot). While the film is sometimes sad, I don’t think the move was grim or depressing. Nola’s dad might have romanticized their life on the road. Nola did not, she sees that it has some drawbacks, and I don’t the film does either. The life looks a bit lonely. Carpenter was good in her second non-Disney film (she had a role in the Hate You Give, which was not a Disney film before the Disney/Fox merger). The supporting actors are good. This wa...
I am not saying this is a terrible movie. I just lost interest and I think I had 40 or maybe 50 minutes left to watch. I might try it to watch it again in a month or so. Or I might not. Claire Foy plays Lisabeth Salandar, the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, in this movie. She is the third actress to take the role and she is good in it. The problems with the film don’t include her. This movie bombed but it doesn’t seem like it hurt Foy’s career. I am not sure why I lost interest. I thought there was a car chase that went on too long. I’ve seen a lot of car chases over the years but it feels like I have not seen a really good one in a while. This feels like it wants to be a female James Bond or female Jason Bourne movie. It is fairly humorless. Except for Foy’s performance, there is not much to recommend this film. I am not recommending this movie. If I re-watch it and revise my opinion, I will write a new blog posting,
Early reviews of Aladdin are good. That is a bit surprising. Maybe I should consider seeing it. I did not have high hopes for this movie. Will Smith is getting good reviews for his performance as the Genie. Taking on the part that Robin Williams did in the animated film seems daunting. Naomi Scott got some good reviews for her performance as Jasmine and she gets a new song. I have avoided most of the remakes of Disney animated movies. I have a theory “the more you like the original movie, the less likely you are to like the remake”. (There are some exceptions of course but that theory is good maybe 88 to 92 percent of the time.) Maybe this remake could prove to be an exception.
Comments
Post a Comment