Hellboy (2019) is bad or maybe below average at best

The new Hellboy movie is bad. Maybe it is below average at best. I am okay with never seeing it again.

This is a reboot to the previous franchise. David Harbour (best known for Stranger Things) takes over the role from Ron Pearlman and Harbour is fine. Ian McShane plays the head of the secret organization that Hellboy works for and he is okay, I guess.

Hellboy has two assistants or sidekicks that I did not really care about. One is a British agent with a secret and the other is a twenty something year woman with psychic powers. I did not hate them but the supporting cast in the original movies was better. (I won’t spend too much time mentioning the original films.)

The movie is pretty violent. At times I am not sure if the movie wants to be a superhero movie with horror elements or a horror movie with superhero elements. Maybe those two things are not very different but they are different.

There are two main villains, one is better than the other. The better villain has a history with Hellboy and hates him. The other villain is a sorceress who wants to destroy the world.  We have seen that before, most recently in the King Who Would Be King.

I have not seen either of the first two Hellboy films in at least four or five years. I did like them but it is not like I re-watched them recently and therefore this film suffers in comparison. This movie would be bad if those films did not exist.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder Force was bad

Who’s Harry Crumb is not John Candy’s best film but I liked it

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is not terrible