Thoughts on Shazam

This is a mostly spoiler free collection of thoughts.

Mark Strong is a national treasure. It has to be said. He is not an American treasure but I guess the American film industry is borrowing him. He plays the villain, Dr.Sivana, in this movie. This is a different take on the classic villain who is a mad scientist in comics.

Billy Batson (Asher Angel) is a foster kid who is given superpowers by the wizard Shazam. Billy wants to find his mother. Freddie Freeman (Jack Dylan Grazer) is his foster brother and together they try to figure what powers Billy has. These scenes are fun.

Zachary Levi is perfect in his role of Shazam (although he is not called Shazam in the movie). He really does seem like a kid in an adult’s body.  I guess someone else could have taken the role but Levi is just really good in it.

This is a lot of fun. There are some nods to other movies but a couple are pretty subtle. I might have missed one if I did not see an article about the film.

I think this was really good and I plan to see it again.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder Force was bad

Who’s Harry Crumb is not John Candy’s best film but I liked it

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is not terrible