I have heard Tolkien (the new biography movie) is pretty bad

Tolkien, the new movie about the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings author, is reported to be pretty bad. That is a shame. It is at 47% on Rotten Tomatoes as I write this. J.R.R. Tolkien created some classic books, he served in World War I, and he was a long time friend of Narnia creator C.S. Lewis. (They disliked each other’s work.) It seems like there is some material to work with in creating an interesting biography.

Nicholas Hoult stars as Tolkien and Lily Collins is on hand as his wife. (Her character has a name but from reviews I’ve seen the movie only really sees her as his love interest.) They are both talented but they can defeated by bad writing and direction. I am assuming this happened to a degree from reviews I’ve seen. I guess I can see Holt in the next X-men movie if I decide to see it. Collins probably has another 3 or 4 projects lined up.

Oh well, Tolkien’s books endure. Maybe some cable network will make a better Tolkien biography someday. Or maybe there could be a mini-series about the publishing of the Lord of the Rings and the impact it had on his life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder Force was bad

Who’s Harry Crumb is not John Candy’s best film but I liked it

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is not terrible