Jennifer Lawrence is getting really harsh reviews for Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix bombed. Reviews are mostly negative. Jennifer Lawrence in particular has been singled out for her performance. (Sophie Turner is the film’s female lead.) There seems to be a feeling that Lawrence has really checked out of this franchise and might have checked out at least one film earlier.

A review on Polygon said that saying Lawrence phoned in her performance implies a level of energy that she never reaches. (I might have gotten the quote wrong but that is the meaning,) That is harsh. Other critics might not have been that direct but similar sentiments have been expressed.

I don’t watch celebrity interviews or talk shows like the Tonight Show and haven’t for a while. I don’t know what Jennifer Lawrence has said about her role as Mystique. However I am not sure I need to, I can decide by watching the films.

She made X-men First Class before the Hunger Games hit and in each X-men movie after First Class, she seems to spend less time in the Mystique makeup and the makeup itself seems to be less extensive. That could suggest she got tired of the role. Her best performance in the role is probably in First Class, which could also suggest she got tired of the role.

I cannot blame her completely, if she lost interest. I’ve heard it can take up to seven hours for the makeup application and removal. That probably gets old pretty quickly.

I wonder if this critical hammering over her apparent lack of interest is a sign that critics or entertainment writers are starting to turn on her a bit. She is not the first actor to want out of a franchise. Miles Teller seemed less than thrilled about continuing his role in the Divergent series at one point but someone got him to try to minimize what he said.

Jason Segel said that he felt How I Met Your Mother went on too long and people(critics and entertainment writers) seemed fairly okay with it. I don’t know if critics or entertainment writers treat TV stars differently. Nina Dobrev left the Vampire Diaries before the show ended for another example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder Force was bad

Who’s Harry Crumb is not John Candy’s best film but I liked it

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is not terrible