Men in Black International is average (updated)

This is average. It is not terrible but it is not inspired. At the end of the year when I am trying to make my best films of the year list, I might need to remind myself that I saw this film.  (I am not trying to make a neuralyzer joke, a movie this average is kind of forgettable.) The movie is watchable, which seems like faint praise.

Tessa Thompson stars as a woman who wants to join the Men in Black. She had an encounter with an alien as a child. She becomes Agent M and gets assigned to the London Branch, which seems pretty much the same as the New York Branch. She starts to work with Agent H (Chris Hemsworth). Liam Neeson is on hand as the head of the London Branch.

Thompson and Hemsworth are okay. They are not a screen team for the ages on the basis of this film but maybe a large part of that is the writing. Hemsworth is fine, he displays decent comedy timing. I guess Thompson is fine too but if the filmmakers expected them to recreate their chemistry from Thor Ragnarok, that did not happen. (They probably needed a better script. Or maybe the movie needed to be paced better.) Emma Thompson has a brief cameo.

The aliens are okay in general. The villains are not interesting. The aliens and the villain in the original movie were more interesting. (That movie came out over 20 years ago and I have seen it at least 8 or 9 times but I rather re-watch it again than re-watch this.) Even the villain from part 3 was better than this villains in this movie.

If this is the best the franchise can do, maybe it is time to close up shop. It is possibly that I expected too much because this is a fourth film in a franchise but I really think a fourth film in a franchise should be better than this. If this is not the most average movie I have seen in theaters in the last four years, I don’t know what is.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder Force was bad

Who’s Harry Crumb is not John Candy’s best film but I liked it

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is not terrible