Should the Terminator franchise be saved

Apparently Screen Rant has an article saying that James Cameron  can save the Terminator franchise. (I think the article says only James Cameron can save the Terminator franchise.) I don't read Screen Rant, so I am not going to link to the article. (I read fewer online film websites on a regular basis than I did a year ago. I am not sure why.)

Should the Terminator franchise be saved though? That is an interesting question to me.

The Terminator franchise has
Six movies
a spin-off TV series
comics (including fights against Robocop, and the Transformers)
novels
video games

That is not bad (Robocop vs Terminator is pretty good). Maybe the Terminator had its day in movie theaters and maybe new franchises can spring up. Maybe this franchise could still exist outside of movies.

I enjoyed the last Terminator movie but it lost money and the one before that reportedly just broke even. Maybe the audience has spoken and it is not profitable to make Terminator movies unless you really slash the budget. However if you slash the budget, how much action and spectacle can the movie have?

Also, here's something to consider.  The biggest new plot points the last movie could come up with were the return of Sarah Conner and the appearance of an "old man" Terminator. One of these ideas was lifted from Halloween and the other one was lifted from Terminator Gensys. Maybe there is nowhere new for the story to go. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder Force was bad

Who’s Harry Crumb is not John Candy’s best film but I liked it

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is not terrible