Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is not terrible

 I think this movie might be trying to do too much. Maybe the classic Ghostbusters did not need to be here. Perhaps the torch was passed in the last movie.

 Also maybe since this is the fifth or sixth movie I watched this week and I listened to a bunch of podcasts, I kind of forgot who a couple of the supporting characters were for a moment or so. Perhaps the film did not reintroduce the characters well. (Heh.)

I think the Stay Puff Marshmallow men did not need to be in this movie. There were not in the movie a lot but if there is another one of these movies, they don’t need to be brought back. We already have the Minions, we don’t need c grade Minions.

I did not hate this film. It is not as successful as some of the other movies I saw this week (in terms of what the movies were trying to do). Some reviews of this movie mentioned there were a lot of callbacks to the first movie. There were some but they didn’t bring the movie to a halt.  (Camoes from the original cast playing different characters brought the 2016 movie to a halt.)

It was nice to hear the Ray Parker jr  theme again.

The Spangler family has moved to New York to be Ghostbusters. An ancient evil is unleashed. Patton Oswald has a fun moment or two.  There is a nice relationship between two characters, one of whom is a ghost. The Mayor is not a fan of the Ghostbusters.  (If there is another one of these, the Mayor should not come back.)

I feel like this series is not growing in popularity and also it might be too tied to the past.  The Godzilla/Kong movies are moving forward and might be getting more popular over the years.  The last three Ghoustbusters movies all opened at around 46 million and one of those movies was in 2016, tickets were probably cheaper than they were in 2023/2024.

This posting reads a bit more negative than I wanted.  I liked the movie overall and I don't regret buying it digitally and might even watch it again next year.  There are some things I don't like and some characters that I think I'd leave out of any future movies, if there are any more movies in this series.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder Force was bad

Who’s Harry Crumb is not John Candy’s best film but I liked it