Instant Family is pretty good

This is based on a true story. It is inspired by the real life expirence of Director Sean Anders and his his wife.

Rose Byrne and Mark Wahlberg Star as Ellie and Pete, a couple who flip houses for a living who go through the foster care system to adopt three children, one teenager and two pre-teens. It is not easy, many of the children in the foster care system have had hard lives.

Byrne and Wahlberg are good as the married couple. I don’t think I have seen Byrne give a bad performance.  This might be the best movie Wahlberg has made in five years at least. This is a comedy, there are some laughs but the movie doesn’t romanticize the process of being foster parents. There are challenges and there are times when the couple thinks maybe they made a mistake.

I did not like all the plot points but I still liked the movie overall.  Octavia Spenser and Tig Notaro  are the agents working for the foster care system. That is good. I like it when a movie gets a really good actor for a supporting role.

I enjoyed it and I think it is worth re-watching.

http://screencrush.com/instant-family-review/
This review by Matt Singer reveals some plot details I didn’t and it is also well written.

https://youtu.be/enzL-Tyw2aE
Brad Jones and his wife Laura talk about Instant Family and two other films in this edition of Midnight Screenings.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder Force was bad

Who’s Harry Crumb is not John Candy’s best film but I liked it

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is not terrible